Every day I hear God speak to me though not with my external hearing or my ears. He speaks to me through my internal hearing. His voice sounds like my voice as I hear myself when I speak. When I speak out loud the voice you hear is different than the voice I hear internally.
The Lord speaks to me through His Holy Spirit. Every time this happens I wish I could somehow write it down or record it as I have heard many great sermons in my internal ear. One time while picking peas in a large garden and then several times while driving alone on long trip.
The Lord seems to especially talk to me while driving to work. I start out talking to Him out loud praising Him and give Him thanks for another day and for the wonderful blessings He has given. He loves to hear my praises as it is my way of giving back to Him the thing He wants most from all his children. I talk to Him as I would my friend and He talks back to me in that sam manor.
Jesus is God, but Jesus also is a man just like you and me. He is in heaven, but yet He lives in my through His Holy Spirit. He has feelings and emotions, and He understands our hurts, life disappointments, and our joys.
Those that know Him recognize His voice when He speaks:
1. I ASSURE you, most solemnly I tell you, he who does not enter by the door into the sheepfold, but climbs up some other way (elsewhere, from some other quarter) is a thief and a robber.
2. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
3. The watchman opens the door for this man, and the sheep listen to his voice and heed it; and he calls his own sheep by name and brings (leads) them out.
4. When he has brought his own sheep outside, he walks on before them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.
5 .They will never [on any account] follow a stranger, but will run away from him because they do not know the voice of strangers or recognize their call.
Jesus will not recognize the voice of those who never talk to Him:
21. Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father Who is in heaven.
22. Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name?
23. And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].(C)
God recognizes us by the fruits of His spirit that lives in us:
Galatians 5:22 (Amplified Bible)
22. But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,